Petit Fours! Fancy, French, but Fast.
I've always loved the look and taste of petit fours, and now I've got a trick to make these pretty little cakes très vite. My shortcut? Pancakes! If you can make a pancake and whisk up some glaze icing, you can totally do this.
Complete pancake mix (enough to make 2 servings or 2 - 3 large pancakes)
1 cup of frosting or jam for the filling (store bought or homemade is fine)
2 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 to 4 tablespoons of milk
1. Make 2 - 3 large pancakes. (If you happen to have a square pan, use it! But no worries if not.)
2. Once cooled, cut the pancakes into as many 2"-squares as you can get. (You'll likely end up with some rounded edges to eat up later.)
3. Assemble the petit fours: Group three square pieces for each little cake. Spread your choice of frosting, jam, Nutella, or any other filling you like on one pancake square, then top that with another square and spread another layer of filling. Top with the third pancake square.
4. Make the glaze icing: Stir together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and the milk (add the milk one tablespoon at a time), until you have a pourable icing.
5. Ice the petite fours: Either spread or pour the glace over your mini cakes. If you find it difficult to cover the top and sides of these little cubes, just drizzle the glaze over the top and let it drip down the sides like little bundt cakes---they will still look cute! The glaze will harden slightly as it sets.
6. Optional: Once the glaze sets, decorate the top with sprinkles, frosting flowers, nuts, cocoa powder, or dollops of Nutella.
Et voilà !